Sep 15, 2007

What is your standard Corporal Chong?

Posted by Mr.Keropok

CORPORAL CHONG. That was my identity and name for the past one week as I attended my very first reservist in-camp training (ICT). It was almost 7 years ago that I had used that name, and through the ICT, hearing it again really does reminds me of the good old days when I played my active role in national defence.

@#$%^&*@!@#%^^#@&&$@@#$^^*()^$###@@. Now these gibberish nonsense were the next common thing which I hear alot in ICT. To help you decipher the code, in simple terms, these are also known as VULGARITIES. The moment I stepped into camp, I totally get bombarded from all directions by them and somehow everyone seems to have a PhD in Vulgarities! Simply amazing because it seems that there wasn't anyone around whom could pass a sentence without a foul word used!

Interestingly, I observed two kinds of people whom used vulgarities loosely.

One, these were people whom had gotten used to speaking vulgarities all their lives and it just is too hard for them not to say it. To them, having the "F" word in each sentence is just as similar as some of us whom keep using "Wah Lau!" in our speech. I have gotten to know a few of these people in this ICT, and found that other than their speech, they are really nice people to chat with. I just had to filter my ears, but truly I enjoyed moments of sharing our life experiences together.

Two, they are the ones whom are just loosely using vularities to gain attention from others and wanting to feel part and belonged to a group/clich/gang. I do feel sad for such people as they are usually by themselves without any friends. In a desperation to make friends, they become mere crowd followers rather than gaining the respect of friendship for their own identity. They are not who they really are, but rather becoming like someone else.

After one week of ICT, I left the ICT light hearted knowing that I caught up with many old friends and also made many new ones. But more importantly, I am glad that I did not compromise my own standards in anyway just to gain acceptance.

How about you? In the pursuit of studies, career or relationships, do you live out who you really are and the values you believe in? Or do you compromise your personal standards just to gain acceptance?

0 comments: