Sep 27, 2008

Am I DESTINED for the Goal?

Posted by Mr.Keropok

.. (continued from previous post)... How is it possible that I've got a history of computer gaming addiction? What actually happened??? It all started back in Secondary 3 where I was totally fed-up with my friends for constantly gearing, picking at me and their sarcastic jokes.

Since Secondary 1, I was already an avid soccer fan and would stay back after school daily hanging out with my friends on the soccer field or court. However, there is something about me then which makes every player wish that they would not be in the same team as me. Because at 13 years old, I was standing at 1.60 meters tall and weighing in at 85KG!! Humongous right? It was like a Sumo Wrestler trying to play soccer! Naturally at such an incredible hulk frame, I was easily the most clumsy and slowest person around on the pitch (and presumably the entire school!), therefore no one would want me in their team because it seems like they would have an added liability!

A typical scenario would look like this:

We would split into our random teams via the age-old traditional method of "Oh-Ah-Bei-Ah-Som" (if you do not know this methodology, you definitely belong to the Generation Z! *blink blink*)

Whichever group that unfortunately has me in their team would usually react this way, "Alamak!! Sure lose liao! Got Fatty Bum Bum in our team! Siao liao lah... we must work extra hard now cos we are one man down. Can we put him on the Free transfer list?!?!"

Hanging my head in disgust and discouragement, I would drag my feet and walk to my publicly-assigned and self conceited position - the Goal Post!

Sometimes I would voice out requesting to play in other positions to try out, hoping to get more involved in the real soccer action. Some common response from my friends would be...

"Please lah... just stay where you are and don't run out! Give us some hope by staying where you are.."

"Oh man... please don't come out. You are DESTINED to be a goalkeeper! You look so cool standing there.. and plus.. look at your waistline! It is almost the same width as the goal mouth! All you need to do is to shift your buttocks left and right, and you can block all the shots! Plus you go so much fats.. the balls will rebound really far away! You are born to be a goalkeeper man!!!" (said with a snigger and sarcastic tone)

I was always bombarded with these negative comments and the only thing I could do was to just swallow them down and accepted them. I didn't want to walk away from my friends because I don't have other friends and didn't want to be seen as a loner too. So for the entire four years in Secondary School, I was constantly bombarded with these crude negative remarks and would ALWAYS play as the goalkeeper. *Sad* In my mind, I was thinking, "I am lousy in my studies. Now I am also a loser in the soccer game. Gosh! Am I a loser in life?!?!"

Things went further downhill for me two years later in Secondary 3. Out of boredom one day, I decided to drop by one of the Arcade center near my house and wanted to play any games to distress and ventilate my frustrations. The "Virtual Soccer" game caught my attention and since I also like soccer as well, I was thinking maybe I can try out all the skills I wanted to in the real game, but never had a chance to in this game!

I slotted in my debut token and started my first arcade game adventure. I lost the first game within 5 minutes. Not satisfied, I put in another token again. This time I won the first game but lost the second. Without consideration, I put in another token and before I knew it..... (to be continued).....

0 comments: