Dec 4, 2006

I almost wanted to call it quits!

Posted by Mr.Keropok

Tears flowed down my eyes when I was at East Coast Park during the marathon. I had already covered 27KM, gloomingly another 15.195KM ahead still awaited me. I had sprained my knee in a freak fall at the 10KM point in Marina South, my hamstrings and calf muscles were stiff like a log and my recurring knee injury came back again. At that point, a thought came to my mind.. "Why not just call it quits and give up? Why am I putting my body through so much pain? What was there to prove since I have already conquered the marathon last year? Maybe I should just throw in the towel and give up."

Pride, guts, glory, integrity... all these became pale comparisons to the pain jutting up every inch of muscles in my legs. Plus the tempting sight of the ECP Bedok exit was alluring for me, I could just give up, flag a cab home, catch a nice hot bath and snuggle into my cosy bed for a good rest. I battled with these thoughts in my mind for the next 3KM...

SUDDENLY... I saw Spiderman, Cat Woman and a lady dragging an old car tyre and running (She was running as a personal campaign to promote recycling). At that moment, everything made sense to me and I had answers to all my questions... Whether I walk, limp, crawl and not matter how long I would take, I WILL drag myself across the finishing line!!

I was NEVER running this marathon for myself. Indeed I have nothing to prove having already conquered this same race last year. But this year, I am running this marathon for my friends, family and the youths whom I work around and spend my time with. My characteristic life principle that I always hold on to strongly is the "never-say-die" attitude. And no matter how unfair, unjustified, difficult or rough situations in life becomes, I would never bow down to circumstances nor call it quits. These people close around me always know me by the Persevering Attitude that I share.

What was it that pushed me beyond my pain barrier and kept going? ..... I want to live out what I preach in my life. I don't want to just talk the walk.. but I will WALK THE TALK! =)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent story... very inspiring. Very moving. Thanks for sharing.