Sep 14, 2008

I was 0.81s slower than Usain Bolt!!

Posted by Mr.Keropok

Usain Bolt, World Record holder for 100m @ 9.69s.

For me on the cloudy Saturday morning yesterday, I was just a mere 0.81s slower than Usain Bolt....... BUT ....... the difference is that I clocked the timing of 10.5s over 40 meters in my IPPT and Usain Bolt ran 100 meters!

Can you imagine that!?!? For many of us, the timing we take to run our IPPT or NAFTA shuttle run, we are still at least one second slower than Usain Bolt! Means that while we are still huffing and puffing trying to catch our breath, Mr Lightning Bolt has already finished his race and already into his celebration laps already! Shocking statistics isn't it?

Anyway, that was just the appetizer. The main course is updating everyone about my yearly IPPT which I took yesterday. My results are as follow:

Station #1: Sit-Up - 38 (Argh! Short of one to get 5 points!)

Station #2: Shuttle Run - 10.5s (Disappointing. I clocked 9.9s a year ago)

Station #3: Chin-Up - Excused because of my wrist injury

Station #4: Standing Broad Jump - 216cm (Phew! My weakest station. Just happy to clear that!)

Station #5: 2.4km Run - 12min 27s (I'm glad I survived through 6 boring laps round the tracks!)

Honestly, I was quite upset with my results, especially for the sit-up and shuttle run stations. I could have done much better on those scores. All it took was a split second of lost concentration and everything went downhill from there.

When I started out at the Sit-Up station, I was 1-for-1 (1 sit-up every second) for the first twenty seconds. And typically for me when doing sit-ups, I would take huge breathe and slowly exhale through the 60 seconds without taking a second breathe. This helps me to keep the momentum going and hitting 40 sit-ups would be a piece of cake. However this time round things took a different turn. Suddenly there was a shout from behind from one of the PT instructors, "Ah Ah Ah... Cup your ears ah!!" . I lost focus for that split second an exhaled my breathe of air and started frantically inhaling a new breathe. That broke my momentum and I almost had abdomen cramps! I struggled for the remaining 40 seconds, only managing 18 more sit-ups. It felt digusting knowing that I missed the top mark in this station just by one sit-up!

Ironically, I left the Sit-up station unable to sit up properly because of the abdomen cramp. Time constraint, so I went ahead to the shuttle run station. Bending up and down to touch the sensor, combined with the twisting and turning was really tough with the abdomen strain, so I came in from the shuttle run clocking a pathetic 10.5s.

At that point, I felt really yucky and thinking that I had another 2.4km race ahead, I really had no mood for it. I feel like walking out. But the thought of going for RT (Remedial Training) puts me off and I decided to give it my best shot for the last station.

At the flag off of the 2.4 run, I was thinking to myself that all I needed to do was to clock 2.00 minutes flat per round and I will be safe for a pass at 12:00 minutes. (the passing mark for my age group is 12:40)

Looking and feeling good after the 1st lap. (1 minute 53 seconds)

It's getting bored in the 2nd lap but still ok. (3 minutes 57 seconds)

My legs are feeling the cramps in 3rd lap. (6 minutes 05 seconds)

I really really feel like stopping and walk for the rest of the run after 4 laps. (8 minutes 15 seconds)

Everyone seems to be overtaking be in this 5th lap. I am grimacing from stitches. (10 minutes 20 seconds)

Gosh! I was getting slower by the laps and am flirting with failure and possible RT if I still continue to run at this turtle pace! NO! I didn't come this far to fail and go for RT... This cannot be! Mustering up all the remaining energy I could find within my legs, I opened up my stride wider and pushed through the last 400 meters.

I closed my eyes at the last 10 meters as I crossed the electronic barrier end point. Upon hearing the beep signal, I opened my eyes and looked at the score board.... 12 minutes 27 seconds..... I PASSED!!!

I left the camp a happy man. I may not have clocked the best possible performance, but I am glad that I bounced back from the initial shocker, cramps and yucky feeling to pass this IPPT. IPPT... Till we meet again next year! Kudos!

Lesson learnt: Indeed, a lot of things is in the mind. 99% of our defeats in life come because we caved-in in our minds first. We lost concentration, lost the will to fightand gave up easily and sometimes even before the battle begins! Life is never always smooth sailing. What counts is when we remain focused and will ourselves to rise up and conquer the next hurdle ahead!

Source:
(1) Usain Bolt photo from http://www.huffingtonpost.com
(2) IPPT station photos from http://www.mindef.gov.sg

Disclaimer: I have no anger nor grievances against the PT instructor whom shouted at me at the sit-up station. He was just doing what he needs to do. =)

0 comments: